View

warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/web115/e0/40/51546440/htdocs/drupal/modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.pages.inc on line 33.
How the data are visualized

New Tower design

There are a lot a new features in the new version. One of the most interesting is the Tower design... which look like a tower. Thanks to Lislyn for the images.
I made different skins depending of the tower level and also for the weapons. I let you look at it.

You can also see the loading bar over each tower. It is useful to follow the tower loading time. Really easy to implement, I don't see anything more to say about it.

In the next post I'll show you the construction animation and the new shader used for the AOE weapons.

Does it look like a tower now ?

Draw edge of the picture with shader

I got the simple idea to represent the unit life percent by a color (green -> yellow -> red). But the problem was how to keep the texture of my unit and to add the possibility to see the life color ?
I could have used a simple sphere or bar close to the unit but I didn't really liked it. I also tried to colorize the unit but the result is not really beautiful.

One of my idea was to draw the edge of the Texture with the color. And one of the easiest (and also fastest) way to do that is to use Shaders. I'll now describe those simple Shaders in GLSL

GLSL color texture edges

Alpha 8 : Take out the canons ... AOE is ready

The AOE (Area Of Effect, used to explain when a spell does some damages not only to 1 target but to many around the impact) is not really hard to implement but can easily reduce the performances of the model. Hopefully this is not a MMORPG so I don't really care if I have to loop over all the units in game to find units covered by the AOE.

I tried to add a graphic representation of the explosion and the AOE. Actually it is basic but efficient. Using a ExplosionGenerator as I like to call it, I simply draw a Circle with many particles.

AOE Projectiles

Alpha 7 : Target locked

After some days, I rewrote the spell system... to prevent useless instantiations.
I optimized the smoke generator to use static memory and prevent allocation.
The viewport is now using a zoom, the missiles uses smoke particles and the Tower Fire is visible by an animation (when the Ammo hits the target too)

To be able to write and test the spells gameplay I wrote a ConfigReader class using map<string,string> system. The config format is like the windows ini :
[section]
title = content
....

For exemple : the spells
[Fire 1]
id = 1
time = 5000 (ms)
type = EFFECT_FIRE

Game Alpha 0.7
Syndicate content